Monday, September 19, 2016

Reflection on Place and Culture

There are many things to like about Humboldt County but I think my favorite thing is how close we are to everyone here. I could go to the mall to shop and stay there and talk to people for hours on end and not even go to one store. Humboldt is a small community but with the amount of people you know it makes it feel bigger. I have many "aunts" , "uncles", and "cousins" that aren't even blood related but were so close and have grown up together that it makes us family. Even my neighbors who I barely know always make an effort to ask me about my daily life. Speaking of neighbors my family has this tradition that every year at Christmas we will bake and put them on little platters and we'll take them to all my neighbors. Another great thing about Humboldt is to look at other families and see how long that there ancestors and them have lived here for ; and to see how much the cities have changed over time. My grandmother will show me old pictures of the logging ages and when her and my grandpa were younger how everything looked. She would tell me stories about where they lived and how little they lived off of. Mostly I like learning new things about the place I come from from everybody in the community so then I can learn where we got our culture we have today.

There is also a downfall to living in a small county is that whatever you do everybody is going to know about it. If you do something good or bad everybody is going to know about it. If you get in an argument with somebody there is no getting away from them. So its a basically a be nice, honest, and good person or everybody is going to know your mistakes. Also even if you do something that your parents wouldn't approve of and people find out your parents will know sooner or later. It basically taught me to never do things wrong I mean of course people make mistakes but not huge ones that could make your parents disappointed in you. Another thing I don't like about our county is that we have a bad rep because of the business people choose to get into. The reason I don't like it is because then we all get stereotyped with it. I personally like more than I dislike about our community which is good because you don't want to dislike the place you grow up and live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment